Do you have a packed linen closet or maybe you cannot find exactly what you need in your linen closet. This article by Redbook Magazine gives 5 great pointers on how to make some space in your linen closet. http://www.redbookmag.com/recipes-home/tips-advice/linen-closet-storage?click=main_sr Read more
Posts tagged ‘organizational tips’
Organizing your home takes time and sometimes some help. The National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) certifies organizations and individuals to help you with organizing your home. They can organize a room, a closet or even your whole home. There is no one way to organize your home however there are some helpful tips to understand when trying to get organized. Read more
Many homeowners may embark on a home improvement project they have never done before. So they struggle in even determining a high level budget because this is completely unknown. Here are some steps to consider in helping you develop a budget in order to see if a project is even financially feasible for you. Read more
Many homeowners fall into the trap of “I will just hire someone to do this project for me” so therefore I don’t really need to do much on this project. Just because you hire an interior designer and a contractor doesn’t relieve you of the responsibility to manage the six key elements of a project. You still have to work with our outside consultant on all six aspects of the project. Let’s take a look. Read more
A bathroom remodel is a bigger project than our previous example of replacing the carpet in a room and requires more planning. But our six key elements are still applicable with a bigger project. Let’s take a look at how each one applies with the assumption that our bathroom remodel is keeping all the wall locations the same and the plumbing hook-ups in the same spot. Read more
- Cleaning and decluttering provides you an opportunity to donate items to charity thereby giving you a tax incentive.
- Review the number of cleaners you use and see if you can use fewer cleaners by using multipurpose cleaners or making your own.
- Put your muscle in to it and use cleaning as an exercise to save money on your gym membership. You burn approximately 144 calories per hour of cleaning.
Mint.com teaches us new ways to save money with items in your pantry.
Additionally, Mint also gives us advice on 11 Unusual Household Uses For Food Items That Will Save You Money and how these items can help you clean your home.
The word “project” has lots of different meanings to different homeowners. And not all projects are created equal. There are small projects and big projects. There are simple projects and complex projects. There are urgent projects that need to get done right away, and there are discretionary projects that are more “wish lists.” There are indoor projects, projects on the outside of the home, and landscape projects.
Because of this diversity of projects in the home, planning and executing on these is also different. Below are a series of questions to help you categorize your different projects. Ask yourself these questions about each project you are considering. In doing this mental exercise, it will help you start the planning process.
- Is a budget important because of the size of the project?
- How many products need to be selected in order to execute the project?
- If you have multiple products, how well do they need to work together?
- Who is going to select the products for the project?
- What skill level is required to install the products?
- Are you willing to learn the skill and do it yourself?
- If the skill is beyond your ability, how are you going to find a qualified person or company to do the work?
- Are you going to get multiple estimates or quotes from qualified sources?
- Is the time of year an important factor in the ability to execute the project?
- How long will it take to execute the project?
- Will the project severely impact your current ability to live in the home?
- Is the project urgent and needs to be executed immediately or is the timing of the project flexible?
Your projects may fit in a small, medium and large category. With these questions, you are better prepared in determing the next steps to take for your projects.
The Great Gatsby is widely acclaimed and known as one of the literary classics of America’s history. What most people don’t know is that there used to be a house in New York that inspired many of the scenes from the novel. Unfortunately, that house had to be tore down, and CBS Sunday Morning did a great special on it.
Check it out – http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7363006n